Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Provincial Politics and Pacific Gardens

In case you hadn't noticed - there's a provincial election in B.C., and of course, being the social activists we are, several Pacific Gardeners are involved.

Some are supporting the NDP, others the Greens, and those political choices fit with our social justice and environmental values.

But it also means some of us are going to very busy, and that includes me.  In fact, that's why you haven't seen any blog posts from me for more than 10 days.

I will be focusing my attention on campaigning for my local Green Party candidate until after election day, May 14th, which means you won't be hearing from me as often.

It's not that I don't think writing about cohousing and the values it embodies are not important.  It's just that right now, the election is way more important.

I feel - as do others - that we are at a crossroads in our society.  We can choose to go one way or the other, and which way we choose will have enormous consequences.

It distresses me that so many seem to think that we continue on with an economy based on over-consumption, continual growth, and destruction of our environment.

I believe we must change the way we live our lives if there is to be any future for the next generation - that's why I live in cohousing.  I want a different way.

I won't preach or hector you about this.  But I am going to do my damnedest now to elect people who care about the environment, and have the courage to fight for it.

I hope you will, too.

Kathryn


No comments: