Thursday, December 11, 2008

Interesting Day

Ah, moving on from the joys of Christmas to the joys of vehicle ownership .......

Yesterday my vehicle got a flat tire. If you can believe it, I had managed to reach the age of 56 without ever needing to change a tire. Somehow there always had been a man around to do it. But on this occasion there was no man. There was only Judy.

Funnily enough, over the last couple of days I had been discussing with friends how valuable it was for us to practice operating in modes to which we were not accustomed. They all agreed.

Nice theory, eh? What's not to like about it?

Hmmm ....... Well, let's just say that I have a new appreciation for those men who'd changed tires for me in the past. Thanks, guys.

While I was struggling to access the spare tire, I remembered my late father's personal motto, "There's no such word as can't."

Well, that persuaded me not to pick up the phone and call the nearest service station. Okay, so it did take me two hours and fifteen minutes to change a tire. But, hey, I did it!!! The sense of accomplishment was awesome. Here's a big cyber hug for you, Dad.

But the donkeys in the nativity scenes suddenly don't look like such a bad mode of transportation after all.

No comments: