Sunday, February 1, 2009

My beloved son in whom I am well pleased

This past weekend, one of my sons visited Nanaimo from Calgary. We had a terrific time together, and I enjoyed showing him my world. He loved this area, and said he could totally understand why I had moved here and why I had bought into a cohousing community.

Spending time in his company is a real treat for me. For a second I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to live in the same place, so we could see more of each other?" But it was just a fleeting idea. The answer was a resounding, "No."

For his masters degree in a subject about which he is passionate, he needs to be exactly where he is. For my personal growth and for my exploration of cohousing, to which I am so ardently committed, I need to be exactly where I am. We love each other enough to give each other that space.

But chatting with that young adult, who is not just a family member but now a friend on an equal footing, was a most agreeable experience.

1 comment:

Amy said...

"But chatting with that young adult, who is not just a family member but now a friend on an equal footing, was a most agreeable experience."

I loved this part & wanted to comment on it. My oldest is 18, and it is, indeed, such an agreeable experience to talk with her as both family member and friend.